Today I woke up to a glorious public holiday, courtesy of cyclone Kammuri. It was much appreciated for I woke up with a severe sore throat which miraculously became better when I subsequently woke up at 11am.
Watched TV for the most updated news (that's important for if the warning is dropped to 3 or 1 before noon, work resumes) and saw an interesting phenomenon which I think is rather unique in Asia - Queuing up for something you really want .. .
In the storm, there's hundreds of parents queuing up, some fortunate ones with tents and some with filmsy umbrellas, outside a school. In the attempt to secure the best opportunities for their children, even a Cyclone cannot stop them. Despite the school's announcement that the seats are not on a first come first serve basis, they refused to budge and finally dispersed after a number was issued to them. The things parents go through for their children.
Well, I can think of many less rational queues in Asia. ..
SG : Queue for Hello Kitty
SG: Singapore idol audition
HK & SG: Queue for good food
Japan : Queue for launch of Wii
HK/Japan/Australia/ NZ: Queue for launch of I-Phone
HK: Queue for Olympics edition notes
SG: Queue for entrance to travel fair
HK: Queue for entrance to the comics exhibition
China : Queue for tickets to Olympics
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment