Sunday, June 29, 2008

Unfeeling rain

This is THE typhoon season in Hong Kong .. and this is perhaps 1 of the highlights of being in hong kong for one gets the day off if the weather signal turns black or No.8. And so far, I have experienced half a one already, had a morning off on 25th June as I experience Typhoon Fengshen which eventually came to Hong Kong.
 
What was uncool was the perpetual rain that would accompany the typhoon season - constant rain means constant wet floors .. and means constant slipping by innocent people
.
In the last one week of rain, I have seen 1 woman graze her elbows on my way down the mid levels escalators, another slip down the stairs leading to MTR, and the last one land on her butt and hit her head a little as she was trying to walk down the slippery escalator. What was even more shocking was that no one attempted to help her get up even though it was obvious that she needed some. As I bent down and tried to extend my hand, "Step aside," a voice from behind said. I turned and it was Da. He put his hands under the old lady's arms and gave her a grip and a much firmer lift that I could have mustered and asked her to be careful before we scooted off. No one moved.
 
And today Alvin told me abt how the people at the bench he was sitting with asked him not to help the players pick up the soccer ball, even though it was rolling towards him and much nearer to him than the players themselves. No one moved.  
 
 
 

No comments: